Museum of Pieve di San Giuliano, Collegiata di Castiglion Fiorentino

Skip to content

The museum of Pieve di San Giuliano in Castiglion Fiorentino, Tuscany

The construction of the Pieve Vecchia di San Giuliano (Ancient parish Church of St. Giuliano) began in 1452. On the high altar, a wooden gilt tabernacle contained the Enthroned Madonna by Segna di Bonaventura replaced in 1486 by St. Giuliano's Altarpiece by Bartolomeo della Gatta; both works are now exhibited in the Collegiata (Collegiate Church). Towards the end of the 15th century Luca Signorelli painted in fresco the Mourning for the dead Christ in the Cappella del Sacramento (Chapel of the Sacrament), where you can also admire the christening font in sandstone, realized for Teodora Visconti towards the middle of the 15th century, and the relief in polychrome glazed terracotta portraying the Baptism of Christ , realized in the Robbian style.

Click on the image to view full size.

A drawing of the ancient parish

A drawing of the ancient parish

Plan of the ancient parish

Plan of the ancient parish

A drawing of the interior

A drawing of the interior

In 1501 the Pieve Vecchia (Ancient parish Church) was declared Collegiate Church by the bishop Cosimo de Pazzi; this title was confirmed by the papal bull of Alexander VI the following year. At the end of the sixteenth century the Pieve Vecchia was subjected to various restoration works and in the seventeenth century the ancient high altar, on which the painting on wood by Bartolomeo della Gatta had been placed, was demolished. On 9th December 1658 the Pope Alexander VII conferred the title of Illustrious Collegiate Church on it. In 1725 Niccol˛ Lapi painted the two oval frescoes portraying Christ and the Veronica and the Raising of the Cross. The chapel on the left side of the high altar, dedicated to St. Francis and St. Donnino, was decorated with gilt stuccoes in 1632 and the canvas Niccol˛ V recovers the body of St. Francis , attributed to Bernardo Santini, was placed on the high altar; at the present the chapel also houses the two big canvases depicting the Flagellation attributed to Francesco Morosini and the Crowning with Thorns attributed to Agostino Melissi dating back to the middle of the seventeenth century.

The Pieve Vecchia preserved its original layout, notwithstanding various displacements and changes in the number and dedication of some altars, until 1849, when the main body was knocked down to widen the square facing the new Collegiata (Collegiate Church). Over the twentieth century some restoration works have been carried out to repair the damages caused by the explosion of mines and missiles during the second world war.

Click on the image to view full size.

The parish around 1912

The parish around 1912

Madonna di Petrognano

Madonna di Petrognano

Tonacella di Petreto

Tonacella di Petreto

The museological order and route are all centred on the most meaningful moments of the liturgical year: the visitor starts with the Mystery of Salvation, proceeds with the Incarnation of the Passion and the Easter Mystery and ends with Mary, icon of the triumphant Church. The same work of art can be appreciated under different contexts: historical-artistic and iconographic, as well as theological and liturgical; also short notices about the popular religiosity are at disposal of the visitor. The original works have been housed again inside the Pieve Vecchia in order to restore that historical unity that went lost over the centuries; the same concept of unity has made it possible to the re-establish the ecclesial function between the architectonical and decorative parts.

Click on the image to view full size.

Madonna on the throne with St. Bartolomeo and St. Stephen

Madonna on the throne with St. Bartolomeo and St. Stephen

Mourning for the dead Christ

Mourning for the dead Christ

St. Michele

St. Michele

The visitor can admire paintings, goldsmith objects, sculptures, church furnishings and textiles of different origin, which hadn't been exhibited up to now, owing to preservation and security problems. Of particular interest are the wooden statue of the Madonna di Petrognano (13th century), the Tonacella di Petreto ( Tunicle of Petreto) and the Piviale (Cope) dating back to the 15th century, the painting on wood by Agnolo di Lorentino portraying the Madonna on the throne with St. Bartolomeo and St. Stephen ( end of 15th century), the Crucifix by Niccol˛ di Smeraldo Salvi (1621), the Christ tied to the column and the Resurrected Christ by the same sculptor, the St. Michele Arcangelo, the St. Girolamo and The Baptist by Salvi Castellucci (middle 17th century), the Annunciation by Ottavio Vannini (1621) and the processional statue portraying the Madonna della Cintola by Francesco Orlandi (18th century). Among the goldsmith objects, of remarkable interest are the Cope fastener (15th century) and the Ostensory of S. Agostino ( 17th century).

Click on the image to view full size.

Madonna della Cintola

Madonna della Cintola

Annunciation

Annunciation

Cope fastener

Cope fastener

Informations

MUSEO DELLA PIEVE DI SAN GIULIANO
Piazza della Collegiata
52043 Castiglion Fiorentino, Arezzo
Tel. 0575.680420
Tel./fax 0575.658080
E-mail: info@museopievesangiuliano.it

Opening time

Saturday: 10-12 a.m. / 3.30-18.30 p.m.
Sunday: 10-12 a.m. / 3.30-18.30 p.m.
During the week by appointment. Tel. 0575.658080.

Skip to navigation

Home | Top

Webmaster: GoalNet Srl :: www.goalnet.it
Copyright© 2006 Museo della Pieve di San Giuliano, Castiglion Fiorentino.

XHTML | CSS | WACG 1.2.3.